Friday, March 16, 2012

Back to Nature (Sort Of) - Part One

 
I tweeted (@MWGirlieGirl) yesterday about my grand master plan to de-yellow my nails. Within a matter of hours I had a few questions, a new follower and my tweet had been favorited. I think I may have struck a nerve.

One of the goals I had when I started blogging was to give some how-to information, along with sharing my favorite products. I realized that nail polish makes for a little quicker posting, so I've fallen into a rut. Sorry.

I digress.

If a girl decides to undertake a project, the first logical step is to do some research. To the interwebs I went.

Lemon juice, toothpaste, and even bleach. Didn't work. Didn't work. No bleeping way I'm literally bleaching my nails. Buffing works if your nails are thicker, but mine don't grow in very thick. Then, I found it: Peroxide.

Well, duh. Want to go blonde? Peroxide. Seems like it would work to bleach your nails, too. It's also a lot more gentle than bleach.

The "recipe" I found said 1/3 cup water and about 3 capfulls of hydrogen peroxide. I soaked my nails for about two minutes at a time, then used a soft toothbrush to scrub my nails. I did notice the nails lightening slightly, so I repeated the process a few times.

Sadly, I didn't take any photos before I started. My nails were never that bad to start with, but swatching polish all winter stained them a bit. I trimmed them down, and I'm hoping they'll grow out nice and healthy looking. I'm also taking a break from dark and bright polishes that might stain until they're healthy.

I'll keep you posted on my progress, but I can safely report that my attempts have been successful so far!

Also part of this grand master plan is to get my hair back to it's natural color...or at least close. More on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment